Best Management Practice (BMP) JOC by the Numbers
- Early engagement of contractors in a collaborative process.
- Transparent pricing. The costs of each project (task order) is determined using a published Unit Price Book – UPB. The UPB is a set of line item unit costs including detailed a description of the task(s) and associated material, labor, and equipment breakdowns.
- Best Value procurement process.
- Contractor applies a coefficient to project / task order costs calculated using the UPB – Coefficient incorporates overhead, profit, and other potential variables.
- Minimum and maximum contact value per year and per project / task order.
- Contractors continuously receive task orders from owner/facility manager.
- Design work is generally minimal and provided by the contractor.
- Job Order Contracts can have a term of 1 year, or 1 year plus up to four option years.
- Owners have the sole authority to extend requests for work and/or extend the contract.
- JOC consultants can facilitate the process. Consultants, however, should not be paid to approve projects if they are being paid a percentage of the total JOC construction volume. Learn more…